12/14/2014

Greyscale Series : Squint & Zoom.

Greyscale Series : Squint & Zoom.

Greyscale Series : Squint & Zoom.

When I survey & reflect on past works a frequent critique I have for myself is the rarity of negative space, ie. balance achieved by the relationship of what is there to what is not there. I am a 'more-is-more' type of creative person. Maximalism over Minimalism. I enjoy harmonizing chaos, deep patterns, asymmetry, & balance of contrast / color / pacing. Oftentimes I set out to make works that have a pronounced contrast of space, but as the works evolve I usually find a way to break those boundaries I have set and (over)develop the entire plot of land. One way I have been exploring this recently is to make rules such as the one in this piece, fully crunk details, but allowing the white area to breath simply by the gravity of contrast. Tone-on-tone. The subtle shadows do the heavy lifting. This type of 'not quite negative space' is something I will definitely be more mindful of moving forward.