10/09/2013

New Black & White Series : Organic Geometry.

New Black & White Series : Organic Geometry.

I've begun Chapter # 9 of my annual Black & White Series. They are larger format (this one is 50 x 65 cm) than Last Year thanks to my workspace being larger this year. Many of the ideas and forms I will incorporate into these drawings are further explorations of the Organic Flow and Op-Geo that I've been celebrating in my recent Murals and Canvas Paintings. As always, I've decided to switch it up with the materials I am using. The series from the last 6 Winters each had their own way of achieving the spectrum of greyscale (wet ink washes, crosshatching, checkerboard, pointillism, and all sorts of other patterns). It has been 7 years since Series # 2, the last time I focused on only pure black ink on white paper. Back to the simple and timeless world of Pencil + Eraser + Sharpies.

New Black & White Series : Organic Geometry.

Some key concepts I have front-of-mind going into this new series are : scale, pacing, negative space, and implied depth. One of my natural tendencies when I am making a drawing/painting/mural is to take over the entire space. In this new work I am trying to push myself out of this way of thinking and create more distinct shifts of complexity and refrain from reaching the edges of the paper, allowing the voids to create an overall sense of balance. Stay tuned for more.